Give your daughters some classic novels to read this summer — books so beautifully written that the characters become like childhood friends. I have read many of these over and over again as a girl, and I can honestly say they have been very formative. A poignant, well-crafted novel can help shape the heart and form the mind. Here are 12 classic novels which do just that.
- Heidi – A beautiful story about an orphan who is sent to live in the Swiss Alps with her solitary Grandfather. Themes of friendship, the beauty of nature, and love for the elderly grace this touching and sometimes amusing story.
2. A Little Princess – When I was a young girl, this was my favorite book. Sarah Crewe is one of the most noble-hearted, compassionate girls in all of children’s literature. When tragedy strikes, her courage and generosity is sorely tested. But even in poverty she remains steadfast and proves she has the heart of a real princess.
3. The Secret Garden – A spoiled, sour orphan and her sickly, tyrannical cousin are transformed by an abandoned garden. Tasha Tudor’s illustrations are, as always, charming.
5. An Old-Fashioned Girl – All of Louisa May Alcott’s novels (except the thrillers she wrote when she was younger) are aimed at instilling wholesome values. In this novel, Polly realizes the value of simplicity while visiting her sophisticated cousins in the city. Polly may be an old-fashioned girl, but her virtues are timeless. Also see Eight Cousins . Rose in Bloom is the sequel to Eight Cousins, but is more appropriate for teenagers.
6. The Little White Horse – An enchanting story of a young orphan girl who goes to live a in a mysterious mansion wrought with family tensions.
7. Caddie Woodlawn – She’s as spunky as a girl can get. Based on a true story of a pioneer family in Wisconsin.
8. Misty of Chincoteague – This is the book that made my daughter fall in love with horses.
10. Anne of Green Gables – This was my second favorite novel as a girl. My friends and I spent hours re-enacting scenes from this beloved book. Little by little, Anne overcomes her vanity, masters her temper, and reins in her wild imagination, all the while winning the hearts of the townsfolk. There are eight books in this wonderful series.
11. Calico Captive – Based on a true story, this is the tale of a Puritan girl who is kidnapped during an Indian raid and brought to Catholic Montreal.
12. Understood Betsy – a story of a young girl’s coming of age. A timid and shy girl grows in confidence when given the opportunity to discover and learn in her own way.
I hope you’ll find something here your daughter will love.
I’ve got a few more book lists coming for this summer. To get my posts as soon as they are published, subscribe below.